The marina received the Most Innovative Marketing Award 2015-2016 for its absolute commitment to meeting and exceeding customer expectations.
In 1948 the Thonwhalla Wharf was built at West Beach and replaced later by a bigger wharf and the original boatshed in 1954 for Fred Hanson (who later became NSW Police Commissioner). George Ridgeway helped to build and later manage the boatshed until it was sold to the McNaughton family.
In 1961 Ray and Mary Penny bought the boatshed and gained approval for living quarters in the roof space. The Penny family’s source of income was renting out hire boats, both rowing and powered and all boats were painted bright yellow so they could be easily seen from the boatshed.
The Holbert family bought the boatshed in 1968, followed in 1970 by Dick Thompson Marine. John and Robyn White and their young family spent 3 happy years at the boatshed from 1977 -1980 during which time John built the southern slipway.
David Cook bought the boatshed in 1980 but sold it in 1984 to Ken Stewart who in 1985 extended the marina to 60 berths.